Essential information about the Patris Health® Strep A Home Test
The Strep A test helps distinguish between streptococcal infection (positive result) or, for example, viral infection (negative result). Knowing the cause of throat infection can help you choose the right therapy and speed up your recovery.
- Intended use: Detection of Streptococcus pyogenes (Strep A) bacteria in a throat infection.
- For self-testing: No experience needed.
- Sample type: Throat Swab.
- Testing time: 15-20 minutes.
- Accuracy: At least 96.4%, clinically validated.
- Certificates: ISO13485, CE0483
- Compliance: European directive 98/79/EC on the in vitro diagnostic medical devices.
- Trade name: Patris Health® – Strep A Home Test
- Made in France
The Patris Health® Strep A Home Test Kit includes:
- one test strip,
- one sterile swab,
- one sterile wooden tongue depressor,
- one dropper bottle No. 1 (blue cap) with 1 mL of extraction solution,
- one dropper bottle No. 2 (green cap) with 1 mL of extraction solution,
- one empty extraction tube,
- one foam tube rack,
- detailed instructions for use with the illustrative step-by-step testing procedure.
Testing will take about 20 minutes of your time. Individuals usually need about 10 minutes to perform the analysis, and then there is a 5 to 10-minute waiting time for the result.
- Swab the throat.
- Mix the swab sample with the test solution.
- Insert the test strip into the mixture.
- After 5 to 10 minutes, read the result.
It is very important for accurate result that you strictly follow the instructions for use.
Interpretation of the Results
Results are interpreted visually as positive, negative or invalid.
The Colour intensity of the test line and control line can be different. If the line is visible, you should take the result into account.
Positive result: Control (C) and Test (T) lines appear.
- Strep A is present in the throat swab sample.
- Consult your doctor about an appropriate treatment.
Negative result: Only a Control line (C) appears.
- Strep A was not detected in the throat swab sample or its concentration is below the detection limit.
- Probably a virus is causing your sore throat.
- If symptoms persist, consult your doctor for laboratory examination.
Invalid result: Invalid result appears if you do not carefully follow instructions for use. Please take a photo of such a test result and contact us at [email protected]
Frequently Asked Questions about the Patris Health® Strep A Home Test
Strep A causes a range of health problems, from milder forms such as pharyngitis to more severe complications such as sepsis.1 Streptococcus A is also the most common cause of angina.
Throat infection in children 5 – 15 years of age is in 30% of cases caused by Strep A and in 70% by viruses. In adults, the proportion of bacterial infections is 5-15%.2
1 Ibrahim, J., Eisen, J. A., Jospin, G., Coil, D. A., Khazen, G., & Tokajian, S. (2016). Genome Analysis of Streptococcus pyogenes Associated with Pharyngitis and Skin Infections. PloS one, 11(12), e0168177.
2 Worrall G. J. (2007). Acute sore throat. Canadian family physician Medecin de famille canadien, 53(11), 1961–1962
When an individual has a sore throat, it is often difficult to tell whether it is viral or bacterial, just based on the symptoms alone. In such a case, it is helpful to perform the Strep A test to avoid potentially irrelevant antibiotic treatment and choose the correct therapy.
It is best to perform a Strep A test when you experience symptoms of strep throat, such as swollen throat or tonsils, body aches, headache, fatigue, vomiting and apathy.
IMPORTANT: Testing is not suitable for children under two years of age.
A clinical performance evaluation study demonstrated that the test is at least 96.4% accurate. It is based on proven technology and has been used in clinical settings for over 10 years.
The Patris Health® Strep A Home Test is manufactured in France with premium materials according to ISO13485. It is CE0483 certified in Germany and approved for home use by the European authorities.
If, for any reason, the test does not work, please take a photo of it, and send it to us by email at [email protected]
Please note: Our tests are straightforward and designed for non-professionals. Errors happen when individuals do not follow instructions for use strictly. You must not skip any step of the testing procedure. The test kit comes with illustrated and explanatory instructions for use. If you follow them, you will not have any difficulties.