Essential Information about the Patris Health® Syphilis Home Test
The Patris Health® Syphilis Home Test is an innovative medical diagnostic test for self-testing sexually transmitted infection with Treponema pallidum, bacteria causing syphilis. You can check by yourself at home in 15 minutes and from one drop of blood if you have syphilis.
- Intended use: Screening for Syphilis Infection.
- Tested analyte: Antibodies against Treponema pallidum.
- For self-testing: Confidential and Anonymous.
- Sample type: Finger capillary blood.
- Testing time: 15 minutes.
- Accuracy: At least 97%, clinically validated.
- Certificates: ISO13485, CE0483
- Compliance European directive 98/79/EC on the in vitro diagnostic medical devices.
- Made in France
The Patris Health® Syphilis Home Test Kit includes:
- one testing device,
- one diluent buffer,
- two micro-pipettes for blood transfer,
- two lancets to puncture a fingertip,
- one alcohol pad to disinfect the puncture site,
- detailed instructions for use with the illustrative step-by-step testing procedure.
Note: You need only one pipette and one lancet to perform the test. Extra one pipette and one lancet are included in the kit as spare parts if you need them to complete the testing procedure successfully.
Very important: Please note that it needs to pass at least five weeks after a risky sexual contact before it is relevant to perform the test.
Testing is straightforward:
- Draw a drop of blood from a fingertip.
- Add the blood and testing solution to the test device.
- Wait 10 minutes and read the result.
The Syphilis Home Test kit contains everything you need to perform the analysis by yourself at home.
Interpretation of the Results
Results are interpreted visually as positive, negative or invalid.
The Colour intensity of the test line and control line can be different. If the line is visible, you should take the result into account.
Negative result: Only a Control line (C) appears.
- A negative result means that the test did not detect antibodies against Treponema pallidum in the blood sample.
- In the first few weeks after the infection, a negative result is possible because your immune system did not yet produce enough antibodies that could be detected.
- If you have had risky sexual contact recently, you should repeat testing with another test in the coming weeks.
Positive result: Control (C) and Test (T) lines appear.
- A positive result means that the test detected antibodies against Treponema pallidum in the blood sample.
- Do not panic.
- Talk with your physician and keep in mind that syphilis is treatable with antibiotics.
Invalid result: Invalid result appears if you do not carefully follow instructions for use. Please take a photo of such a test result and contact us at [email protected]
Frequently Asked Questions about the Patris Health® Syphilis Home Test
Syphilis blood test detects specific antibodies against Treponema pallidum, a pathogen bacteria causing syphilis.
You need to draw a drop of blood from a fingertip and add it to the test device (test kit includes a lancet, pipette and alcohol pad for finger capillary blood collection).
When a person gets infected, the body’s immune system produces specific antibodies that circulate in the blood and look for the bacteria to eliminate them. That is why antibodies are in the blood.
It needs to pass at least 5 weeks after a potential infection before it is relevant to perform the test.
The so-called incubation period varies from person to person. Anti-treponemal antibodies’ concentration increases with time and reaches its peak at 1-2 years after infection. In most infected, specific antibodies can be detected in about 5 weeks after infection (6-14 days after the primary chancre appears).1
If you had risky sexual contact, and the result of the syphilis test is negative, you should perform more tests in the upcoming weeks. The concentration of antibodies may still not be high enough to be detected.
1 Peeling, R., Mabey, D., Kamb, M. et al. Syphilis. Nat Rev Dis Primers 3, 17073 (2017).
No. Once you get infected, antibodies against T. pallidum stay in your body for life even though you are successfully treated (please be aware that you can get infected again).
Therefore serology tests that detect antibodies against T. pallidum do not help to evaluate treatment effectiveness2. You should talk to your doctor about a relevant examination.
2 Peeling, R., Mabey, D., Kamb, M. et al. Syphilis. Nat Rev Dis Primers 3, 17073 (2017).
People often ask us this question because they are interested if they have been infected ever in the past.
Syphilis specific antibodies stay in the blood for life. Therefore if you got infected 10, 20, 40 or more years ago, this syphilis blood test is still relevant.
After initial representation of syphilis as chancre, symptoms as fever, headache can easily be overlooked. Once syphilis is in the latent stage, which can last for many years, no signs and symptoms appear.3 This means that person can live with syphilis for many years without knowing.
3 Peeling, R., Mabey, D., Kamb, M. et al. Syphilis. Nat Rev Dis Primers 3, 17073 (2017).
The Patris Health® Syphilis Home Test is at least 97% accurate. In three extensive clinical trials, the test showed a correct result in over 97% of cases.
A performance evaluation study was conducted in 1661 cases, including infected individuals and confirmed blood samples. Moreover, the test relies on proven technology and is in use in clinical settings for over 15 years.
The Patris Health® Syphilis Home Test is manufactured in France with premium materials according to ISO13485. It is CE0483 certified in Germany and approved for home use by the European authorities.
If, for any reason, the test does not work, please take a photo of it, and send it to us by email at [email protected]
Please note: Our tests are straightforward and designed for non-professionals. Errors happen when individuals do not follow instructions for use strictly. You must not skip any step of the testing procedure. The test kit comes with illustrated and explanatory instructions for use. If you follow them, you will not have any difficulties.
Yes, it is discreet. There will not be any marks on the box about the content.